Skip to main content
Submitted by N.Messina on Mon, 02/20/2017 - 02:07

Dears,

I am looking for information to connect and program this configuration for a milling machine in combination with Mach3, MasterCam or others....

DMC2143 + ICM20105
2 Pc. Minas A4 200W with 17bit encoder
1 Pc. Minas A4 400W with 17bit encoder and park brake
1 Pc. Minas A4 750W with 17bit encoder and park brake

The drivers will be in Torque mode, and drivers can simulate a quadrature signal to perform a double loop.

Is it possible to use ICM20105 ?
What are your recommendations for piloting the brakes ?
Is it worth working in double loop ?

Thank you for your help

Comments 1

AndrewS on 02/22/2017 - 12:04

Hi N.Messina,
To answer your questions:
1. Yes, the ICM-20105 is a breakout module that additionally provides opto-isolation.
2. I would recommend using digital outputs for breaks. BW is a command that automatically configures a certain output for a given axis. The ICM-20105 has high power digital outputs that can drive inductive loads if need be. Please check the voltage and current requirements first.
3. Dual loop is dependent on your system requirements. For stability, have at least an encoder directly on the motor shaft. If you need additional positional accuracy, you can use dual-loop with an additional encoder on the load.
Additionally, my assumption is that the encoders are quadrature. If they are some sort of absolute, you may need a different hardware configuration.
If you have additional questions, please give a call in to 916-626-0101 or email support@galil.com and ask for Andrew.

Regards,
Andrew