Skip to main content
Submitted by andrebarcay on Mon, 04/06/2015 - 14:46

Hi,

I just received my DMC 2164 board back from your repair department because I fried it the other day. I think this happened because of improper grounding so I want to avoid this again. From what I understand, grounding the controller is done through the ground on the power supply and is separate from the grounding for the AMC drives. Also, the ground for the encoders should not go to the ground on the controller board but rather to the PE ground. Clearly I am doing something wrong here but I'm not sure what. I have done several searches in this forum and read as much as I can but I am not finding specifics. I'm also not sure if I need to ground the board through the mounting holes on board and if so, where does this get grounded?

Is there anyway of finding out what I did wrong to fry the board?

Thanks for any help you can provide,

Andre Barclay

PS, I am also using a 20100 ICM

Comments 1

troym_galil on 04/10/2015 - 13:32

Andre,

In an external amplifier situation with separate power supplies Galil recommends connecting the power supply grounds together. This is to provide a solid ground reference between the two devices. There should also be a ground reference between the Galil and the external amplifier along with the motor command and amp enable signals. This ground reference is different than the chassis or earth ground of your system. The chassis ground should not be connected to the signal ground.
Thanks,