Skip to main content
Submitted by MikeG on Tue, 01/19/2010 - 11:00

I have had no problems connecting with Ubuntu 8.04, 8.10, or 9.04 and GalilTools. Using Ubuntu 9.10 (fresh OS install) simply does not work for me at all. [s]I get 5004 Open Error when attempting to connect with "GalilTools 192.168.124.2". When calling GalilTools with no argument, the controller does not show up in the list.[/s](<-doesn't always happen resolved on reboot) When using the API I get a seg fault when trying ethernet or even specifying "offline" (same application has no problems in previous versions of Ubuntu).

I get the yellow "comm" light to flash when plugging in my cross over cable, but I cannot make a connection with the API in Ubuntu 9.10.

Comments 2

Galil_AndyH on 01/19/2010 - 13:49

I am having no problems with running the GalilTools Communication Library with Ubuntu 9.10.

Start by downloading the HelloGalil example for gnu and run that.
http://www.galilmc.com/learning/hellogalil.php

Here is my output:
$ g++ hello.cpp -lGalil
$ ./a.out
10.0.6.207, DMC4060 Rev 1.0b, 808, IHA IHB
libGalil.a 1.4.0
MG TIME 7658466

If you are still having problems e-mail support@galilmc.com and ask for the e-mail to be forwarded to Andy.

MikeG on 01/26/2010 - 14:26

I think what I did was something along the lines of not calling the destructor before trying to create a second. This wasn't actually a problem until my Qt app hit its event loop and probably tried to process resources that got improperly destroyed from the first instance of the Galil class.

[code]try{
g = new Galil ("255.255.255.255");
}
catch{
~g();//I didn't have this line
g = new Galil ("offline");
}[/code]

All seems well now. I didn't come across this problem for 6+ months because I hard-coded it to skip connecting to the controller as it was mostly unneeded until now.