Skip to main content
Submitted by Hunter on Fri, 12/17/2010 - 05:59

I am an old dog trying to learn a new trick when it comes to servo tuning. I have inherited responsibility for a couple of systems that use Western Servo Design LDH-AP1 amplifiers with Galil 1700/1800 series motion controllers. They were initially set up around 10 years ago, and occasionally have some vibrating oscillation when they should be steady.

I have tried using WSDK to tune the PID parameters and am not getting good results. Most of the auto-tune routines cause the motors to shut off. I can adjust them with manual tuning, but I am confused by the results. I'm not seeing linear tracking of the output as I change the parameters.

I went back to the LDH-AP1 amplifier manual to make sure it was set up properly, but all it said was to turn a pot all the way to one limit then back it off a few turns "as a starting point," but then give no info on where to go once you get started. I haven't had any luck so far getting responses from the manufacturer.

I would appreciate any suggestions. Like I said, I'm new to this so don't assume I know too much.

Comments 1