Skip to main content
Submitted by Battwell on Tue, 02/17/2015 - 02:11

i have what looks to be a brand new - old stock galil2280
i cannot find it via ethernet
it has red error light on from power up. so im presuming it has a firmware fault.
all voltages are present from its inbuilt power supply.
shows connected to network on pc. (2 greens) using a crossover cable direct to pc- or a straight cable via a hub.
tried master reset.- no luck

i have also tried upgrading link and communicating via rs232 but still unavailable. 19200 baud with handshaking set on com 1 both pc and control.

first question: ive checked the main serial port jumpers inside- seem configured for rs232
but the ic location u10 is not populated. (the socket right behind the main com port) is this required? if so what chip is it??
im hoping this is my problem re trying to upgrade firmware

ive tried both galil tools and smarterm.
tried phoning galil and sending an email- no one answering phone- no reply to email as yet.

any ideas?
ive used lots of your ethernet controllers including a 2280 before. never been this stumped!

Comments 4

Battwell on 02/18/2015 - 05:17

ive checked the main serial port jumpers inside- seem configured for rs232
but the ic location u10 is not populated. (the socket right behind the main com port) is this required? if so what chip is it??
im hoping this is my problem re trying to upgrade firmware

Battwell on 02/20/2015 - 17:35

my problem was my cable.
galil direct to pc requires all pins connected (except 1 and 9) direct pin to pin with pc. not tx-rx etc as i had.
had to butcher an existing cable to find this.

MattK on 02/23/2015 - 08:22

Hell Battwell,

I'm glad to hear you were able to correct the behavior and connect to your controller.
As you have noted, a straight through serial cable is required for communication with any Galil Controller. This is due to the Galil's configuration for hardware handshaking which needs dedicated pins to indicate when each component is ready to receive and send information.