Skip to main content
Submitted by chrisb1182 on Thu, 11/10/2016 - 15:25

I'd like to start by saying that I'm about as new as it can get when it comes to using Galil controllers and having to program parameters and settings in order to operate my hardware. So please excuse my rookie approach up to this point :)

So I have a DMC-4143-BOX4-D4040 and I'm trying to drive a Faulhbaer Motor P/N: ADM1220-2R-V2-07+12/5 879:1+MG0125. After much trial and error I was able to move the motor so my next step has been to connect a Limit switch which I've been trying many variations (see below) with no luck at all. My deadline is approaching very very fast and I'm hoping this is the place where I can get some answers. So here is how I have everything currently connected and what I've tried in regards to the limit switch. The page numbers below are all taken from the DMC-41x3 manual pulled from the Galil website and the software I'm using is GalilTools.

Power and Motors are connected via Molex connectors (pg233)

Limit connected via Jn1 – 26 pin HD D-Sub Connector (pg187)
For the limit I’ve tried NO & NC one at a time by connecting to the FLS (Pin 14) and RLS (Pin 22). I have tried connecting C on the switch to LSCOM (Pin 5), to GND (Pin 10) and while jumping LSCOM + GND together. I also tried connecting a 5k resistor to +5V (Pin 9) then jumping that to RLS or FLS depending on which one I was trying. During every combination imaginable above I was toggling the CN command between 1 & -1 all with no luck. Motor just keeps moving no matter what I try.

There are these jumpers (JPn1 - Amplifier Enable Jumper Description for DMC-41x3 - pg192)
below the 26 pin D-Sub connector (pg187) that are labeled Q & P. I don’t know if these matter but even if they did I cant find any information regarding these and limits.

Hopefully someone who knows more than I can read this and quickly see the error in my ways and help me correct it. Many thanks..

Comments 1

KushalP on 01/16/2017 - 17:07

Hi chrisb1182,

The limit switches for the controller are optically isolated and can be configured for either sourcing or sinking configuration. The LSCOM pin is the common for your limits, and home switch for all 4 of your axes. If you connect +5V to the LSCOM pin you will be configured for sourcing. If you have GND connected you will be configured for sinking configuration.

Refer to Chapter 3 of the DMC-41x3 User Manual for a full wiring diagram of the limit switches.

The jumpers are used to configure the controller's external amplifier interface. Since you have an integrated stepper amplifier you do not need to change the default configuration. Additional information on the jumpers can be found in the DMC-41x3 User Manual in the 'External Amplifier Interface' section in Chapter 3.

If you are still experiencing problems connecting your limit switches please call in and speak to support immediately. You can also email me directly at kushal p at galil dot com.