Skip to main content
Submitted by mokky on Wed, 05/23/2012 - 20:45

Hi,

I am able to connect GalilTools to DMC-2143 controller via ethernet. However, it is not able to connect via RS232. The connection list has the "COM5 19200" as well as the "COM5 115200". I tried both, and the response is "[color:#FF0000]1011 TIMEOUT ERROR. Galil::command("MG_TM") took longer than 500 ms to read : response. Got MG_TM 1[/color]".

I did a test by running a program to wait for a variable "CHECK" to go from 1 to 0, and execute it via ethernet connection. I am able to send a "CHECK=0" to the controller via Hyperterminal.

The wiring connections are below:
Controller PC
|-1---------------1-|
| 2---------------2 |
| 3---------------3 |
| 4---------------4 |
| 5----GND----5 |
|-6---------------6-|
7---------------7
8---------------8
9-x x-9

1 & 6 are shorted at both ends. 9 is not connected.

The JP2 does not have any jumpers. The connection setting at the port in the PC is baud rate 19200, data bits 8, parity None and stop bits 1. I have tried all 3 settings in the flow control option - Xon/Xoff, Hardware and None, and the result is the same.

Is there something wrong with the wiring? Or is there a setting the GalilTools that I can configure the RS232 connection?

Comments 5

Galil_DJR on 05/24/2012 - 09:14

Mokky,
The wiring looks ok. You say you are able to send CHECK=0 with hyperterm. Is this over RS232 or TCP/IP?

The errror appears as if your echo is on. The software will send EO0, but perhaps your program is turning it on?

If you were able to set CHECK=0 from Hyperterm, try also:

:ST
:EO0
:

(The colons are the controller response, do not type them). Once you send EO0, then try to connect via GalilTools.

mokky on 05/24/2012 - 21:08

Hi DJ,

The CHECK=0 is sent from hyperterminal through RS232(COM5). The ":" response is not shown in the hyperterminal when I type the "ST", "EO0" and "CHECK=0" commands.

Test 1:
I use the GalilTools through TCP/IP to monitor the CHECK variable. The CHECK variable goes from 1 to 0 after "CHECK=0" is issued to the controller using the hyperterminal through RS232(COM5).

Test 2:
After "EO0" is sent to the controller via hyperterminal + RS232(COM5), I disconnect the RS232(COM5) connection at the hyperterminal. The GalilTools has the connection listed, but it posted the 1011 error when I try to connect the RS232(COM5) port. I connect the GalilTools using TCP/IP and issue "MG_EO", the value replied is 0.000.

Btw, I can even issue a "XQ#START" in hyperterminal through RS232(COM5) to run a downloaded dmc program, but no response ":" is shown in the hyperterminal after the command is issued.

I am sorry, I am not familiar about the echo setting. But when I looked at the hyperterminal settings->ASCII Setup, and there is an "Echo typed characters locally" option which is turned off during the tests that I did.

From these tests, it seems to me the controller is not able to send any response through the RS232 port.

Galil_DJR on 05/25/2012 - 08:20

Your tests shows that the host is able to send a command to the controller, but is unable to receive a response.
Your cable is likely bad. The TX on the host is working, as is the RX on the controller. Check the RX on the host and the handshake lines.

From the controller side:
21x3 RS232 Pinout
Pin Signal
1 RTS (check this)
2 TXD (check this)
3 RXD (OK)
4 CTS
5 GND
6 RTS (same as 1)
7 CTS (same as 4)
8 RTS (same as 1)
9 No Connect

mokky on 05/29/2012 - 00:01

Hi DJ,

I would like to check if my RS232 wiring from the DMC-2143 is correct.

I have checked that the PC's RS232 port pin out is as follows:
1. Carrier Detect (CD) [Input]
2. Receive Data (RxD) [Input]
3. Transmit Data (TxD) [Output]
4. Data Terminal Ready (DTR) [Output]
5. Ground (GND)
6. Data Set Ready (DSR) [Input]
7. Ready To Send (RTS) [Output]
8. Clear To Send (CTS) [Input]
9. Ring Indicator (RI) [Input]

Therefore, I have done the following, correct me if I am wrong:-

The pins 1, 6 and 8 at the controller are RTS, which means that I have to wire them from the controller's port to pin 8 CTS at the PC's port.

The pins 4 and 7 are CTS, which means that I have to wire them from controller's port to pin 7 RTS at the PC's port.

The pin 2 TxD from controller to pin 2 RxD at the PC.

The pin 3 RxD from controller to pin 3 TxD at the PC.

The pin 5 GND from controller to pin 5 GND at the PC.

Commands sent through Hyperterminal RS232 with the wiring shown above:
-> ":" (Occasionally, it returns new line)
"WH" -> "R"
"MG_BN" -> " " (Occasionally, it returns new line)
"MG_TPX" -> " " (Occasionally, it returns new line and " 0")

And with the wiring shown above, the 1101 error still shows when I try to connect to GalilTools.

Galil_DJR on 05/29/2012 - 08:31

The easiest way to wire the cable is straight through. Wire every pin on one side to the other.
1 1
2 2
3 3
... and so on.

Galil sells a molded cable: Cable 9 Pin for $10. I highly recommend it if you are still having problems.

It appears that you are getting partial information. This is probably cable-related.